Contributed by the American Red Cross Santa Cruz County Chapter.
The American Red Cross Santa Cruz County Chapter honored 31 outstanding volunteers during the Volunteer Recognition Dinner on January 30 at the Seascape Golf Course in Aptos.
The 2013 Special Recognition for Exceptional Volunteer Award went to Chris Maffia of Scotts Valley. She has been an active board member of the Chapter since 2006 and the Chair since July 2010. On June 30, 2013 Chris will complete her two years as Chair of the Board but will remain as Chair of the Governance Committee. She has been a tremendous ambassador and advocate in the community for the Chapter. It is through the efforts of Chris that the Chapter has been able to build a strong Board of Directors of 22 members and will continue to do so under her leadership.
The Hazel K. Snow Award is presented to a volunteer who has “gone the extra mile” in honor of the nationally recognized Mrs. Snow whose 40 years of service to the Chapter was primarily focused on developing and coordinating the Chapter’s blood program. This year’s Hazel K. Snow award went to Don May of Santa Cruz.
May started volunteering in Volunteer Management and Disaster Training but quickly advanced to a Disaster Training Instructor and is one of the of the Chapter’s training database administrators. His can-do attitude keeps the Training Department running smoothly and he has made the tracking of volunteers an easier process.
The Rountree Award was created in honor of Mr. Edward T. Rountree and his wife, Bertha M. Rountree who volunteered their services for the Chapter from 1962-1980. They embodied the dedication, inspiration, and modesty that exemplify the spirit of volunteerism. This year’s Rountree Award went to Craig Jenni of Watsonville whose technical contribution and leadership locally and regionally has benefitted the Red Cross.
The other 28 exemplary volunteers honored that evening included:
Program Excellence Awards
- Disaster Services: Emilio Barajas, Watsonville
- Health and Safety: Deb Daly, Ben Lomond
- Community Preparedness: Brenda Bodewitz, Davenport
- Youth Services: Tal Rosen, Santa Cruz; Tina Arthur, Scotts Valley
- Service to Armed Forces: Ann Sydes, Aptos
- International Services: Jo Romaniello, Boulder Creek
- Disaster Health Services: Sheri Sobin, Davenport
- Disaster Mental Health Services: Sharon Parker, Santa Cruz
- Amateur Radio Emergency Services: Cap Pennell, Santa Cruz; Jamie Finch, Aptos
- Disaster Services Technology: Jerry Inman, Soquel
- Disaster Services Logistics: Leonard Davis, Santa Cruz; Howard Yancey
Chapter Support Services Awards
- Development: Ameline Tien Lee, Scotts Valley
- Reception: Jacki Bilgutay, Santa Cruz; Bill Bumgarner, Aptos; Julie Scurfield, Freedom
- Disaster Training: Lynn Dunton; Jim Brummitt, Santa Cruz; Sandy Peters, Watsonville
- Information Technology: Linnea Dunn, Bonny Doon
- Volunteer Management: Sondra Ziegler, Jane Gallagher, Janet Packer
- Rookie of the Year: Lynn Dunton
- Board Member: Barbara Frank, Aptos
- Community Partners: Anna Marie Gotti, Capitola