The local chapter of the American Red Cross announced its 2012 heroes this week.
The 11 people chosen, including a San Lorenzo Valley man who is this year's Military Hero, will be honored in May for their efforts in the community. Hero Awards recognize members of the community who have shown courage, dedication, and character through acts of heroism and kindness:
- Animal Rescue: Hannah Nevins and Josh Adams, Santa Cruz (Nominated by Adrienne Maguire)
- Education: Bassel Flatas, Santa Cruz (Nominated by Kris Munro)
- Good Samaritan: Aaron Carota, Angel Estrada and Dane Jacinto, Watsonville (Nominated by Leo Welsch)
- Law Enforcement: Zane Ota and Donny Thul, Watsonville (Nominated by Sgt. Saul Gonzalez)
- Lifetime Achievement: Gina Castaneda, Watsonville (Nominated by Carol Schimke & Adrienne Maguire)
- Medical Professional: Dr. Sharon Tapper, Santa Cruz (Nominated by Dr. Larry deGhetaldi, M.D.)
- Military Hero: Isaac Hatch, San Lorenzo Valley (Nominated by MarySullivan-White)
- Rescue Professional: Karen Clark, Santa Cruz (Nominated by Marsha Miller-Ayers)
- Workplace Hero: Letitia Mello, Watsonville (Nominated by Sgt. Saul Gonzalez)
- Youth Hero: Shayne Ely, Watsonville (Nominated by Chris Garcia)
- Eleanor Wasson Lifetime Volunteer: Dorrie Stallings, Corralitos (Nominated by Kathleen and Jamie Proffitt, Jeanne Milnes and Tracy Schultz)
The American Red Cross Santa Cruz County Chapter is looking forward to the upcoming 2012 Heroes Breakfast on May 16, from 7-9 a.m. at the historic Cocoanut Grove Ballroom, on the shore of beautiful Monterey Bay and adjacent to the world famous Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk.
The Heroes Celebration event has been held at American Red Cross chapters across the country for over 10 years. The goal of the event is to recognize acts of heroism by local residents and pay tribute to those who have performed lifesaving deeds while supporting the local American Red Cross Chapter’s life-saving programs and emergency services.
Title sponsors include Dominican Hospital, Dominican Medical Group and Physicians Medical Group. Table sponsors include Granite, Rowland & Pat Rebele and the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. Media sponsors include KSBW, ABC Central Coast, Joyce Anderson Productions, Santa Cruz Sentinel, 92.7 KTOM, Cinespots, 105.1 K-OCEAN and KSCO AM 1080. Community Preparedness Supporters include Santa Cruz County Bank, Comstock, Thompson, Kontz & Brenner and Schooner Realty. Youth Club Sponsors include Bay Federal Credit Union and DBM Auctioneer. The event will be hosted by KSBW Reporter Phil Gomez.
The American Red Cross Santa Cruz County Chapter is a non-profit, humanitarian organization that depends on the generous contributions of time and money from Santa Cruz County residents and companies to provide services and programs that help our community prevent, prepare for and respond to emergencies.
The Santa Cruz County Chapter helps our community to prevent, prepare for and respond to disasters, and all funds raised at this event help support local disaster relief. For more information, please visit www.sccredcross.org or contact Camilla Boolootian at (831) 600-4909 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information on disaster preparedness, health and safety classes, volunteer opportunities, and financial contributions, visit www.sccredcross.org or call 831-462-2881. You may also find the Red Cross on Facebook and Twitter.
Check back. Patch will have more about these heroes later in the month.